Monday, July 30, 2012

Days 11-14: Trip Wrap-Up


We are home now, but I didn't want to leave the blog hanging without rounding out the trip. In a way, the trip home was a whirlwind, skipping through two other national parks like a stone through a river. In other ways, it was a slow crawl with Texas tugging me by my heartstrings back to the familiar.
When we left Yellowstone, Cate had made a friend from the Chech Republic. They spoke a similar language of giggles, hugs, and stuffed giraffes. They ran around our campsites, took walks, and shared flashlights. They colored pictures and read books. Even though they couldn't speak to each other, they had so much in common. That girl of mine is so inspiring. We hated to leave our new friends, the people we would never have spoken to if it hadn't been for outgoing, sweet Cate.
We stayed a night in the Grand Tetons. It was a picture-taking paradise for the hubby. Those mountains are indeed grand, y'all. Not one of them over 14k feet, but just so jagged and um, grand. Cory said, "You know when you're a kid and you're drawing mountains with crayons? They look like this." As we drove away, I literally could not get the song "America the Beautiful" out of my head. I'm cheesy, I know.

At the risk of letting you in on the fact that I'm not all that hard-core, I have to tell you that by the time we made it all the way back through Wyoming and into Colorado, I was done. The car was making a horrible rattling noise, the STUFF was closing in on me, and I wanted out of that car. And not in a tent either! I wanted back in my bed. In a car that worked. My gracious husband can spot that crazy look in my eye, so he pulled us into a hotel, stat. Cate and I slept in and swam while he took the car to get it repaired. It was a lovely little stop-over in Ft. Collins.
One more little stop in Rocky Mountain National Park was just enough of a taste to leave me wanting more. So much to do there, so many beautiful mountains. I wished we had another week to explore. I miss it already, the perspective that natural beauty provides. But we're settling back into the rhythm of routine, and that feels pretty good too.
Love this one. We're a little crazy-eyed, and well, you know how she feels.

6 comments:

Grandi said...

Thanks for sharing this great story and the whole adventure, we so enjoyed it. What beautiful places and interesting people. A fitting picture, the three wandering travelers, The End

Kimberly-mytoesareclaustrophobic said...

That picture of the three of you cracks me up! So glad you guys had such a great trip. Thanks for sharing it with us!

bj said...

I've loved reading about your trip...and the photos are great. That Cate always has something PINK going for my Pink Saturday post. All my readers think she is adorable, which, of course, SHE IS.

bj said...

Jess, here's a blog I thought you might like...it's all about writers and moms...there is a good post over there that you might find interesting and helpful...
Write On, Mom, I think is the name of the post.

bj said...

oops.....

http://www.jennysulpizio.com/

oH, and did you know you have the dreaded word verification ON. ? :)

Emileigh said...

Cate sure doesn't hide her feelings from ya. At least she is honest.

I loved Cory's description of the mountains. It was spot on.

I can imagine that you were ready to sleep in a bed! And how sweet of your husband to let you do that. SO SWEET!!!