Thursday, January 19, 2012

There's a demon in my bathroom scale.


There has to be. That's the only logical explanation.
I have been working out like I have never worked out before. Dani and I are training for a half-marathon, the Rock and Roll Dallas. I am really excited about it because "Run a Marathon" is on the bucket list, and this is a step in the right direction. There have been times in my life where I was a runner, where I could run on a consistent basis. But there has never been a time when I felt like an athlete. But now I'm going to weight lifting classes and riding the stationary bike on my cross training days. I'm doing long runs on the weekends and working on my pace during the week. I'm starting to feel like... that a-word above. It's crazy.
But the scale refuses to budge.
I am a good seven pounds over what I like to think of as my "normal" weight, and twelve over where I want to be. I have been working out at least 5 times a week for the past three weeks and counting calories. And that [choose your own expletive] scale even dared to edge up on me today.
It's infuriating.
However....I am not going to give up. I am so glad that I have a goal other than the weight loss, because if that had been my only goal, I would have thrown my hands up and drowned my lack of progress in pizza and wine. But there has been progress. It just hasn't shown up on the bathroom scale.
-I feel better, stronger. My muscles feel more defined, and my butt doesn't jiggle quite as much. My pace is getting better, and I'm adding a mile to my long run every week.
-My daughter sees a woman who excercises. When we see someone running at the park, she asks, "Is that you, Mama?" She likes to pretend she's doing squats with a tupperware lid.
-My marriage is better. Even though spending time at the gym means we don't spend quite as much time together, it has made that time together even better. Cory has always been the one who inspires me to exercise, and now I get to do that for him. We're both happier when we're together because we feel like we've accomplished something outside of our normal routine.
-I have a lovely running partner, who makes those long runs fly by and keeps me motivated during the week.
-I'm finally getting it, that little addiction to the runner's high. Today is supposed to be a rest day, but the weather is glorious, and I keep thinking maybe I'll just slip outside for a little jog. It's crazy how working out went from being a burden to a pleasure. (Plus, the whole gym membership thing is fabulous.[Thanks, Mom!] They watch Cate, she gets some playtime, and I get some precious alone time.)
So hopefully the weight loss will come in time. In the meantime, I'll relish the other victories.
(But if you know of a good exorcist, send em my way.)

2 comments:

Kimberly-mytoesareclaustrophobic said...

I am so proud of you. I've always dreamed of being the "a" word but, unfortunately, it just wasn't in the cards! Keep up the good work - those muscles you are building weigh more than what used to be in their place. : )

Grandi said...

As usual, a wonderful story. I think you got it though. Don't worry about the scales, you are doing the right thing, you love it, and it is good for you, so just keep it up! I am so proud of you and I must admit a little jealous, I would love a marathon!