Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Writing Update

Ok, so every summer I delcare that it's the "Finish the Novel or Bust!" summer, and this season is no exception. I've been consistently writing since school let out, but it is such a slow process! I'm up to 60 single-spaced pages which, at this moment, equals 29, 131 words. I think I'm just over half-way done and I have the rest of the novel planned out. It's just a matter of getting it on paper.

I'm struggling a bit with creating interesting scenes around the dialogue. I recently read a book that had a very interesting concept and some decent dialogue, but the characters were always driving somewhere and talking, or sitting somewhere and talking, or eating and talking, or playing frisbee and talking. It was boring! I know you want to strike a cord with real life circumstances, but no one wants to read about the tedium of someone else's life.

In addition, I have some limited time slots for my writing (i.e. during Cate's naptimes). So it's hard to get a chunk of time carved out to devote exclusively to the novel. I always have to sit and stare at the screen for at least 30 minutes before anything starts flowing. And I'm sometimes frustrated because I don't have those 30 minutes to waste!

Ok, I just thought I'd share my progress and frustrations. My friend, Memzie has been awfully inspiring with her progress in the 30,000 words in 30 days campaign. Keep it up, Em!

2 comments:

Memzie said...

Awww! Thanks for the encouragement!

I can understand sitting and staring at the computer. I have run into that a quite a bit this month. It is always hard. I have been writing at night because it is SO quiet that I can concentrate. The latest I have been staying up is 3:30 a.m. I feel really crazy telling you that but it is just an amazing feeling when everything winds down around me and I can focus on my story because there is a quiet, dark void around me. The only light I have is the computer screen.

Anyway, how can you write a story with such a cute daughter babbling and singing around you? I don't know if I could do it.

Sandi said...

Keep up the good work. You'll get it done, that is something you cant really rush. It will be exciting