Thursday, June 25, 2009

small victories

For two nights in a row now, Cate has slept from about 11 to 6:30, waking up only once to eat. (Cue the hallelujah chorus.) I'm also impressed that she'll wake up at night sometimes and fuss a bit but eventually go back to sleep on her own. I feel confident that she'll get a good sleep routine down just in time for us to go on our 4th of July trip and get her all messed up again, but oh well. It's nice knowing it's possible.

In addition to feeling a tad less tired, I actually put on some jeans this morning that buttoned! Hooray! There's lots of things they don't tell you about having a baby-even though I read an outrageous amount of baby books and websites- and one of those things is you'll be wearing your stretchy pants for months after the baby is here. Admittedly, I could have gone out to buy pants that fit, but there was this number in my head that stopped me. Women know what I'm talking about here- that number that they sew into the back of the jeans that can only go up a certain amount and be acceptable. I pulled a pair of jeans off the wrack that was in the uppermost limit of my acceptable range, had a wrestling match with them in the dressing room, finally forced them up over my thighs, stuck my tongue out at them in the mirror and left the store with an elastic-waist skirt. But today I reached a small victory. I'm not going to lie, I'm dealing with a bit of a muffin-top here, but at least the two flaps will come together in lovely, albeit strained, buttoned harmony.

7 comments:

bj said...

ahhh, you are such a cute mommy....

Sam said...

Hooray!! I remember that day well! Congrats! Love you, Ash

bj said...

Pink Sat. at my blog...all about great-grandparents...thanks for the photos.
Love you!

Memzie Latham said...

Sounds like two great accomplishments! Congratulations!!!

Diana Latham said...

Always the honest and hilarious Jessica that we love so much!!! Thanks for the smile.

Carleigh Latham said...

Congrats! I love how honest you are! Thanks for sharing!
:)

Sandi said...

I dont think it's just "me", but last weekend you looked pretty victorious!
Sandi