Sunday, March 29, 2009

fourteen days

We had the doctor's appointment today that we've been waiting for and thinking about for several weeks now. We found out that, according to ultrasound measurements, our baby currently weighs 7 pounds 11 ounces. This being the case, the doctor wants to induce labor on April 14th, two weeks from today. It's all so surreal and somehow shocking even though he warned us 6 weeks ago that this was probably going to happen.

It's been several hours since the appointment, and I can't quite pin down how I feel about the whole thing. I'm definitely excited and surprised. The planner in me likes knowing. I like being able to schedule out everything for my job and make sure everything is ready at the house. I'm a little sad, though, that we may not have that classic it-could-happen-anytime experience where you're at home timing contractions and trying to decide whether or not to go to the hospital. I suppose she could still come before then, but the doctor says it's unlikely. For some reason, for a few weeks now I've felt like she was coming on Easter (April 12), so we'll see.

Alright, so in celebration of the news, I'm finally posting pictures of the nursery. I'm really proud of it. First up, the crib and the bedding:

Then the glorious curtain, made with love by Sandi and Hollye. The chair is a little dark in this picture, but it is velvety and wonderful.This is the dresser that I'm using as the changing table also. I made the circle art on the walls. We'll put her initials on the three middle pieces when we know what the initials are.
Close-ups of my handiwork:
And all those precious little clothes. I don't think I'll have to buy much else for her to wear for the first year of her life!
And finally, here I am, 36 weeks along.

We'll be seeing you, baby love, in just 2 short weeks.

10 comments:

Betsy said...

Crying tears of happiness for you, Jess - I can't wait to meet your baby girl - what a lucky, lucky little one she is!

bj said...

Visited with your sweet mama last night at the game...had dinner at Rosa's with all of them.
Can't tell you how happy we are...
you know that April is a HUGH birthday month in the family.
Today, April 1st..is Jent's..Granddad's is on the 10th as well as our 49th anniversary..then your Aunt Stacy's is on the 29th. So, little Sweet Pea Sugar Plum is going to have a lot of other birthday-ers along with her!!
Ok, I'm chosing the 12th, too...then her initials could be
ESH......
Your nursery is just fabulous! So so pretty!! I'm excited...
See you on the 10th at your moms...unless....well....you know!!
Love you, Memaw

Diana Latham said...

Excited for you! Even with an induction, you will have plenty of surprises to look forward to. We look forward to meeting Baby Girl. Let us know if you need anything.

BTW, thanks for the dressers, they are helping so much.

Sam said...

We are so happy for you! Can't wait to meet your new love!

Laura said...

Cody and I can't wait to meet her! Good luck and we want all the details when the big day comes. Well, maybe not all the details. :)

Sarah said...

I predict the headline on the A-J front page, April 12th issue, will read: "Cannonball Baby Hendricks explodes into the world unexpectedly, weighing 12 lbs. 18 oz., and singing a soulful cover of 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot.' Proud parents Cory and Jessica aren't sure whether they're happier that she's finally arrived or that she wasn't singing 'Time After Time'."

Kristi said...

Jessica,
I am so excited for you and Cory. I can't believe it is already time!
However, April 14th is my birthday and so I'm thinking it is a great day to have a birthday!
Hope all continues to go well for you.
Kristi

jessica said...

I'd like to make one ammendment to the newspaper article. Can we change "explodes" to "gently glides"? Um, yeah. That sounds better.

Sandi said...

Well, I am misty eyed just looking at how beautiful my daughter in law looks! The nursery is beautiful, I love everything. Good job guys! What a great idea for the wall, you did great! I think the 12th is entirely possible. Good grief at the clothes, sorry, yes, I have a few more to send from this end, I am going to get a space saver bag and maybe the next Hendricks girl will have a bunch too.
soon to be Gma

Sandi said...

I know it is fixing to get crazy, and we will all be about Baby girl, so I would just like to say Thank You to two great parents to be!