Friday, January 02, 2009

was that the mexican food or did the baby just try to jump out of my belly?

"Is Neo moving?" was a constant question when we were in Grapevine. Kim and my female cousins were anxious to feel her kick. The funny thing was that she seemed to go out of her way to only kick at odd times...like 3 in the morning or when we were in a public movie theater. Finally, toward the end of the visit, Kim got to feel her, but only after I had knocked over a beverage in my haste to call her over. Sometimes I think she's in there snickering at all the fuss we're making.
Naturally, already being the joyfully obstinate child that she is, as soon as we got home, she has just started kicking away. Yesterday was really crazy. Cory was talking...for a long time... about our new speakers that we got for Christmas. (My favorite quote was "I am awesomized by them," but that's beside the point.) The baby was kicking the whole time he was talking, so I interrupted him and told him to feel. Then, of course, she stopped kicking. So, I was thinking that it was the sound of his voice that was making her kick so I told him to keep talking. He put his ear to my stomach and started talking about (surprise!) camera lenses, and she kicked him in the ear! (Good girl!) I really think she was responding to the sound of his voice. She would stop kicking when he would stop talking. She loves her daddy already!
Then today while we were watching a movie, I saw my belly move out of the corner of my eye. (I have to look around it these days to see the tv.) There was the natural movement of me breathing and then these little waves of baby nudges! I can't believe I could see her kicking. I'm still kind of freaked out (but in a good way) about feeling the baby move, and now I can see her!
Since both of these events happened while we were either talking about or listening to the new speakers, the only conclusion that I can come to is that she loves a good sound system. Maybe when she grows up she can make good money installing car stereos or home theater systems. (Cory will probably try to use the "baby loves electronics" excuse to register for a blu-ray player or some indoor/outdoor speakers. Actually, that sounds like a pretty good idea. When I tire of all the pink, I might do that myself.)
I just didn't think that we'd be able to see her movements this early. I hope she's not some rapidly-growing mutant child who's going to bust out of here and head for the nearest Best Buy. At least, if she has to do that, I hope she leaves my ribs intact.

10 comments:

bj said...

Good morning, GIRLS....(how neat to say girlS !!)
Moving around so much this early is a GOOD sign...or so I am thinking! :O) And, she is pretty much bound to have a good "eye" and good "ears" for taking photos and choosing good sound systems...
I featured her on my blog for PINK SATURDAY this week and everyone I know in Blogland fell in love with her!!
xo memaw

evan said...

that's what i miss about being pregnant... all those little wiggles, jolts, and hiccups. truly amazing.

Kim said...

Okay, I laughed so hard I cried when I read this post! You girls have fun!

haley said...

Female cousins? I don't even have a name anymore? And are you sure Cory wasn't talking endlessly about totopos?

jessica said...

Nope, we're teaching the baby to just call you "that girl."

j/k... ok, it seemed easier than saying "Haley and Laura" at the time..

Memzie Latham said...

Awe...that is soooo cute! It must be so much fun feeling your little girl moving around inside of you.
That is so sweet that she responses to ya'll voices.

Carleigh Latham said...

That is soooo sweet. I bet that is a great memory to have as a parent. Love it!

Sandi said...

That's so cool! I am glad ya'll are having such a wonderful adventure.

bj said...

Hi, sweetness..
Just stopping by to see how you are doing. I hope you are feeling good.
Take good care and know I love you dearly...
Memaw

Laura said...

I'm just glad I get called a cousin! You are so much nicer than your brother!