Sunday, July 06, 2008

fireworks


This was our little home away from home the past week, selling fireworks for the fourth of July. It was really a pretty easy job the first few days. We spent a lot of time reading and I got the chance to write some. Mom and the girls came out to help almost everyday- they were brilliant saleswomen! They had all sorts of different selling tactics- flag waving, crazy hats, setting off smoke bombs. And when we didn't have customers they'd just practice what they would say if we did.
Finally business really picked up on Friday. We had a pretty constant stream of customers all day, especially after the sun went down. Everything was going just perfect until we had to turn on the outside lights. Then a huge army of a variety of bugs decided to declare war on my person. Normally if a bug touches me it sends me into a hissy fit of screaming and flailing about, but it's funny what you can put up with when you just have to do it. I had bugs in my hair, crawling on my back, trying to get in my ears and mouth. I'm not sure how it happened, but I even had bugs in my underwear. It was disgusting. One black beetle was nearly 4 inches long- no exaggeration- and he made a bee line (a beetle line?) for my face. That was just too much- I did a little flailing there, in front of a customer and everything. Ugh, it makes me shudder just thinking about it.
You'd think that guard-dog Clive could have made himself useful by protecting me or something, but he just laid there in the floor of the tiny stand, so we had to trip over him as we pulled things off the shelves. He got lots of attention from customers, though, so he seems pretty pleased with himself.

2 comments:

Memzie Latham said...

Ugh, I hate bugs!!! I am such a girl when it comes to bugs.

Sandi said...

I was waiting to hear of this adventure. Sounds like it went good albeit scary! In the pic, Clive looks like he's running the whole thing.
Sandi