Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Of course, Clive's droopy sad eyes convinced Cory to let him sleep in the floor with us, so between waking up in puddles of sweat and Clive licking my feet, I didn't get much sleep.
The other thing that is currently engulfing my free time and thoughts is the series by Stephanie Meyer.
Lacey read them and was completely enthralled by them. Since she recommended them, and she's infinitely cooler than me, I had to check them out. Cory and I both read the first one, Twilight, on the beach. (My cousin and soon-to-be cousin-in-law have also read them and loved them.) I've started in on the second one, and I can't put it down. They're teenage vampire romance novels. If you're looking for literary gold, this may not be the book for you, but if you want to get wrapped up in a love story, it's hard to beat. It's actually kind of inspired me to do some more writing, which I haven't actually done yet, but I am vowing to do so over the next few weeks.
I'll post some vacation photos as soon as I have the tenacity to sort through the pictures again, and I'll tell more about the trip. It's a thrilling, action-packed, rite of passage vacation story that you won't want to miss. (It doesn't involve vampires, but all except one of us are frighteningly pasty and especially vulnerable to the sun.)
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Thursday, June 05, 2008
Tuesday, June 03, 2008
This is my quote board that hangs on our dining room wall. Pictures of sunsets, me and Cory, me and my girls, and Teddy Roosevelt are completely normal things to have on it. A bikini-clad woman, however usually has no place on the quote board. I have made an exception, though, because this is the bathing suit I want when we go to Playa in 10 days. TEN DAYS! She helps motivate me to work out everyday. So here are my resolutions for this summer. I am making myself a list so I don't waste the season of no work by taking naps and watching daytime television.
1) Work out everyday until Playa. Run, pilate, or walk Clive everyday.
2) Write! I want to blog frequently and finish something written this season. I either want to finish a novel that I've been working on or start a new one and finish it. That last part is the kicker: I love starting new stories, but I get tired of them and quit. I resolve to stick it out this time.
3) Work a little. There are some grants I want to write, some technology classes to take, and some units to plan for school. A light sprinkling of work never hurt anyone, I suppose.
4) Only sleep in on the weekends. Naps are only acceptable when expressly earned or direly needed. (That sounds harsh, but really, who's going to decide if the nap is "direly needed"? Me.)
5) Read. (But be careful not to fall asleep while reading.) I have 3 books looming right now, one of which is in Spanish, and I need to start it before Playa...which is in 10 DAYS!
6) Be a housewife. Since Cory's bringing home the pasta (we don't eat much bacon) by teaching summer school, I'm going to spend some time cleaning and organizing the house. This is going to be a tough one.
7) Avoid telemarketers and door to door salesmen.
Ok, I think that is a resonable list. Mostly, if I can just avoid sleeping a lot I think I can count the summer as a success.