Wednesday, March 19, 2008

spring break: a photo story

I am so tired that it took me several minutes to figure out how exactly the shower door opened, and then, once inside, I proceded to frighten myself with my own reflection. That being said, I wanted to blog a bit about our trip so far. Cory has taken some really awesome pictures, so I'll probably let those do most of the talking.
We left in the wee hours of the morning on Monday, allowing us to get several hours of drive time behind us before we even woke up. (Mom was awake, of course, and doing a very nice job of driving although she was wrongly accused several times of slamming on the brakes and waking cranky sleepy-heads.) We are listening to the first Harry Potter as we drive, which is particularly pleasant to me because I get to introduce my family members to this wonderful series. Ok, enough about driving.
We stopped at the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest National Park to break up the trip a bit. Cory got to take a picture with his idol...
and he also took some really fantastic photos.

The next two days we spent wandering the edges and entrails of the Grand Canyon. What really caught us off guard was that a lot of the trail was frozen, and we had to be super careful going down. We even had to slide on our bottoms for part of the way. Cory took so many awesome pictures of the Grand Canyon, that I'll have to post them later when I find my favorites. For now, I'll scroll through and pick a few at random.


Andrea and I narrowly escaped being attacked by a rather aggressive squirrel. Really, I'm not exaggerating. I'm pretty sure he would have jumped into Andrea's hands if she would have let him. Plus, he chased us a good way up the trail. There are more pictures of this that I'll have to post later, but here's a little teaser pic to tide you over till then...


Finally, after much hiking, surviving the wildlife and the complex bus system, we feel we have conquered the Grand Canyon...


(Notice that I had the pack as were were hiking. Cory kept calling me "donkey" and assuring me that it was a term of endearment in Arizona. Riiight.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good to have you back! good thing I accidentally clicked on this bookmark. great stories and photos!

Jess

bj said...

Hi, Jess...we were at your mom's last night and got to see a lot of really good pictures. Everyone seemd to have had a great time. So glad.
I'm going to add you to my blog roll and you will probably get a lot of new readers!
Come to Easter dinner with us on Sunday.....
Love, Memaw