Saturday, June 02, 2007

Tall trees and windy roads





Days 6-7: San Francisco--Shasta Mtns.--Seattle

When we got our bill from the Holiday Inn in San Francisco, we were a little disappointed to have close to $60 of unexpected fees and taxes tacked on. We felt a little like Ross from Friends when we were trying to eat a huge continental breakfast, take the apples up to our room, or take all the complimentary soaps, shampoo, and pine cones with us to make up the difference.

On the way to Muir Woods, we were beginning to think that my dad had sent us on a wild goose chase as the roads wound down and around, through hills and valleys. However, when we arrived, it was worth the twists and turns and slight motion sickness. We took a short tour given by a park ranger who appeared to be as old as some of the trees there. He talked a little like the guy on the Clear Eyes commercials except it was obvious that the one thing he got semi-excited about was trees. And with good reason, as these trees are really breathtaking. Some are over 250 ft. tall and have been growing for hundreds of years. I seemed to be exceedingly clumsy as I walked through the paths; the trees would distract me with their grandeur, and when I'd be gazing upward, mouth agape, they would slip the toe of a root up to trip me. Mischievous trees.

We were able to stay on the board walk paths or hike some of the trails- some of which were 2 or 3 miles long. Walking into the park was almost like walking into a cathedral; the serenity and reverence for the history there made you want to only speak in whispers. We stayed for hours, and when we finally left we were stuck in the traffic trying to get away from SF.
(Cory would also like to include that Teddy is the major reason that many of these kinds of parks were created. He would like to dedicate our trip to Muir Woods to Teddy, in fact.)

We spent the night in the Shasta Mountains, arriving just after dark. We were up early and drove the rest of the way to Seattle. We drove straight through Oregon, of which my first impression is that it is a pretty laid-back state, with lots of green rolling hills, trees, and slow drivers. All the people in the entire state live in Portland, which makes it difficult to drive through there, but fairly easy to get anywhere else. Now we are here, in the lovely Seattle, ready to stay a few days and see the sights.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica - first, congratulations on your graduation! Secondly, I am so enjoying reading about your road trip. I'm incredibly jealous!

Bets

Anonymous said...

I am so glad y'all are blogging. I have to concur that I am jealous, though I can't see how San Francisco could be so beautiful as to want to leave Texas permanently. Heaven is the only place off the top of my head that I could think of that might be that nice. Anyway, the entries are great, and Lori and I are getting the camping bug even worse now. Hope Seattle continues the excitement.

Garrett

Anonymous said...

I'd like to dedicate my trip to Amarillo this week to Teddy as well.... glad you are having a great time. That's so great that some wonerful people let you borrow their laptop. You must have friends that ROCK!
Ashlee

jessica said...

It's true. Shout out to all the friends that loan out laptops!