Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Shoes to fill



Real life has now hit me at full force. Like a frying pan in the face. School is back in session (boy, is it ever) and I have lots of different shoes to fill.
The newest pair are the hard-core journalist shoes: sensible and stylish. Must appear appealing, or at least interesting to the average college-age student while maintaining some sort of self-respect. Able to make quick turns for new deadlines and story ideas, and durable enough to withstand a few scrapes and mishaps when sources refuse to return phone calls.
Second pair: practical and mature teacher shoes. Comfort is a necessity when sitting through 3 hour classes taught be ex-elementary teachers who repeat "Teach, don't tell!" like broken records. Or parrots. Or parrots who ate broken records.
Pair number three: the bilingual advocate shoes. These are a broad range of colors made from a variety of different leathers in order to ensure that no one is offended by the fact that I have different shoes than they do. The labels on these are in both English and Spanish, and when I'm not wearing them I have to carry a picture of them around with me lest someone forget that they exist.
Pair four: my cheerleader tennis shoes. I know, it's shocking, but it really is fun following my brother around, taking pictures of him like he's a celebrity. If only I had been able to be this excited about high school football when I was actually in high school. Ok, back to the shoe imagery: able to withstand sporadic jumping, with balance-enhancing inserts so that I don't fall through dangerous bleacher gaps.
Pair five: The heels that I wear with my A-line skirt, apron, and pearls while I cook dinner for my husband... Ok, so these shoes don't exist. Poor Cory is doing most of the cooking these days. (And getting quite comfortable in his photographer's shoes, as is apparent with the above photo.) Ah well, this way I can have time to occasionally put on my real life "sneakers" (as he calls them) and go for a run.

The semester really has started out well, and I'm excited to be able to do all of these different things. I feel like I'm getting to try things that truly interest me, and all the possiblities for a year from now, when I'm a graduated adult, are so exciting. Now if only I could narrow down the actual number of shoes in my closet to only five...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I really enjoy your writing--I'm glad you're publishing.
Cedra

Anonymous said...

The pictures is great and your writing is too. I've had fun scrolling through some of them and reading. You are very good!
-Kyann

Anonymous said...

Now we know the answer to why some shoes are larger than others,nice picture chef.
Yendor

Anonymous said...

It's been awhile since I've written on your blog, Jess. With all the things going on in our lives, so many of MY shoes don't fit anymore.
For instance....my leisure shoes! Or, maybe it's not that they don't fit. Maybe I just lost them...for awhile. I have to believe I WILL find them again...someday. In the meantime, I will revel in my blessings that I do have things going on in life. Leisure is for OLD folks and I'm not there yet!
My "get things done and on time" shoes absolutely are tight on me. They pinch really hard when I forget important events, like birthdays.
My thankful shoes fit so good I can hardly EVER take them off. Brooks is doing better with ea. day and Granddad and I go to our knees in thanks for that. All the other members of this hugh family seem to be well, happy and busy and, again, we say our daily thanks for that.
I sure have enjoyed reading your articles and look forward to more.
You always did want to become a writer and.....I do believe you are on your way.
Love you!
Memaw