Sunday, June 11, 2006

Weekend in Antigua




I´ve finally got some pictures up for you guys. The first two are from Volcán de Pacaya, and the last one is from our trip to the Women´s Coop that we wrote about earlier where they dressed us up in typical Mayan Wedding dress.
Our trip to the volcano was exceptional, one of the top five most amazing things I´ve ever done. Let me start with how this whole trip began. Cory and I had been wanting to climb a volcano, and I thought we might get a better price from the travel agency if we booked a whole group to do it. So, I talked to some other students at our school to see if they wanted to go, and before I knew it, I was in charge of planning a trip for 9 of us. I´m not sure how I was elected leader/event coordinator, but I was bustling about trying to collect money and find a good travel agency. It was really pretty stressful, and people started thinking they could ask me to book the rest of their trips in Guatemala. Oy! The travel agencies should start hiring me out.
We payed $12 per person for transportation, a guide, and security. The guide was a small Guatemalan man with a gold tooth and the security was the machete on his hip. Samuel, the guide, was very helpful and nice, and he answered all our questions about eruptions, lava, and poisonous sulfuric gases. (Plus he had a Texas A&M hat. Pretty good, eh Bub?) The hike to the top was about an hour and a half, and it was so nice to be away from the city. The trees, foliage, and view were all beautiful. We didn´t go to the very top, as we might have been boiled into a bubbly human stew if we had. We got plenty close to flowing lava (like 20 ft.!) and climbed atop igneous rock formations. One girl from Australia commented, ¨This is so Middle Earth!¨
We´ve been enjoying the rest of weekend in Antigua with Garrett and Lori, since this is their last weekend here. We got to go to this super swanky restaurant the other night that had a live Cuban jazz band. We ate fancy dishes like duck and bananas flambé. Other than that, we´ve just been plotting ways to get rich by selling t-shirts to tourists. All in all, a good weekend.

11 comments:

Jess E said...

Did you throw any pennies in the lava?

Anonymous said...

hey you two, sounds like y'all are having a great time, I am really happy for you. Neelie thought the flowing lava picture was "cool", and the Mayan wedding dress. Neelie is sitting here dictating to me, she says that she loves y'all. Hope you continue to have a great time. I had to e-mail your Mom, (the computer geek, lol) to find out how to do this....the blind leading the blind....Love to you both Marsha & Neelie

Anonymous said...

The pictures are priceless....that red, boiling, molten lava was impressive to me thru the pictures! I can't even imagine how it must have been being only 20 feet from it. WOW....You are making memories that will last a life time !!
The pic of you in wedding dress is so neat. That one will HAVE to be blown up poster size and hung above your bed!! Sooo cute.
Love and blessing to all of you there. Tell Lori and Garrett hi for us...
Love, Memaw

MOM said...

WOW! I love the pictures. The volcano stuff is/was amazing to me too. I am so glad that you are getting to see it. Love you lots-MOM

Anonymous said...

Jess and Cory,
I am so excited that you two are getting to do all this fun stuff. We are praying for you daily and love you both! Stacy and Jent
PS- just try not to come home with an orphan!

Anonymous said...

Jess- I actually thought about throwing something in but I didn´t have anything handy, except Jessica.

And Hi to Marsha and Neelie

Anonymous said...

The pictures are incredible. I love the one of the 2 of you - you guys look so happy! I'm so glad you're having such a good time. We love you both - Kim

Anonymous said...

Do the guatamalans have any type of sacrifice to offer the volcanos. Yendor

sarah said...

Your pictures are fantastic, guys. The one of you in traditional Mayan wedding dress is really wonderful. I'm excited to see the rest of the pics from your volcano hike, and more of the green Guatemalan forest. I'm so glad that you're doing all of this cool stuff, and enjoying the rest of your month there.
Keep us updated on your amazing Antiguan adventures!

Anonymous said...

These pics are great! Love the wedding pic, that will be around a long time. The volcano is unreal! It's unbelievable that yall would be up there I am glad you both got to experience that, Jessica you did a great job organizing.
Love, Sandi

Anonymous said...

HEY JESSICA AND CORY! IT IS ME, LACEY! I JUST GOT BACK FROM BASKETBALL CAMP AND LAS VEGAS THEY WERE GREAT BUT I AM EXAUSTED!! @ BASKETBALL CAMP WE GOT IN 45 HOURS OF WORK-OUt!! AND NOT VERY MUCH SLEEP! WELL I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT I LOVE YOU GUYS AND THAT YOU NEED TO HAVE A GREAT TIME! WELL I THINK I AM GOING TO GO TO BED!!
LOVE YOU GUYZ, LACEY JEAN CONKLIN