Friday, May 26, 2006

The Journey Begins

There's a knot in my stomach that's about 10 % nervousness/fear, 10 % anxiety, and 80% excitement. We're driving to Dallas today to spend the evening with my folks, and then we leave for Guatemala Saturday afternoon. In case you want to pray for us while we're flying, we'll be in the air from about 5:15 to 8:30 if everything is on time.
I'm feeling a bit sentimental, so I'm going to go with it. It's so amazing to me how this trip has worked out for us, and everyone has been so helpful. You've encouraged us, helped us financially, prayed for us, helped us plan, and kept us excited about this trip. Well, some of you just looked at us with a crazy flash of fear in your eyes and swore to us that we'd get kidnapped or mugged.
It's funny the reactions you get when disclosing the fact that you're taking a vacation in Guatemala. If you announce that you're going to Hawaii or Europe or even Canada, you get "Wow, how exciting. You'll have a great time." When you declare you're going to Antigua, you get a perplexed twisting of the face and a blunt "Why?"
Because we want to learn Spanish.
Because we'll get to experience a new culture.
Because there are trees, and water, and Mayan ruins, and coffee plantations, and volcanos.
Because it feels like an adventure.

Hopefully the next time I write, it'll be from Antigua, Guatemala. Can I get a whoop, whoop?

8 comments:

javanated said...

whoop, whoop!

Anonymous said...

whoop whoop!
Can't wait to read the next entry!
Sandi

MOM said...

Whoop! Whoop! I hope your having a great time! I love you two! MOM

PS I am typing this from your house and about to shut down your computer and turn off stuff!

Ashlee said...

Well, I hope you are having a great time learning Spanish and seeing volcanos. We miss you.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.